Our client has a vacancy for an Assistant Accountant to provide maternity cover for 6 – 12 months. Working within the professional services sector, you will assist the CEO with the provision of SAR support to the Accounts Manager and the firm where necessary.
• preparation of monthly management accounts (including but not limited to the fees report; billable hours report; utilisation report; new matters report; profit and loss account) and the processing of year end.
• compliance of COFA responsibilities including, but not limited to, financial file reviews and residual balance monitoring/reduction.
• compliance of SAR and other financial procedures throughout the firm.
• provision of ad-hoc financial information.
• preparation and submission of the VAT return and EC Sales Lists (where appropriate) and all liaison with HMRC.
• bank reconciliations for client, office and deposit accounts.
• introduction and adherence of new accounting processes and procedures.
• High academics in maths and English.
• AAT qualified and achieved or studying towards CIMA (or an equivalent Accounting qualification).
• Financial reporting and investigation of queries.
• Familiar with financial processes and procedures.
• A working knowledge of VAT.
• Knowledge of money laundering regulations.
• Previous experience of working within a law firm and an understanding of the SRA Accounts Rules.
• Ability to work within a pressurised environment.
• Confidence and ability to communicate at senior levels and to liaise with all parties both internal and external.
Take responsibility for the preparation of the monthly management accounts in conjunction with the Management Accountant. This includes but is not limited to:
o the addition of new assets and depreciation journal.
o maintaining the current and capital accounts.
o maintaining the balance sheet.
o the posting and reconciliation of the salary postings on a monthly basis.
o the posting of routine monthly journals (including accruals) and review of the trial balance prior to the production of the monthly management accounts.
• assisting the Management Accountant with disbursement monitoring.
• creation and maintenance of the firm’s Accounts Handbook and any associated training materials.
• liaison with third parties regarding the finance of the firm (e.g. auditors, bank, other advisors).
• assisting the Management Accountant with the WiP valuations as and when required.
• ensuring that the financial postings and transactions are correct.
• ensuring processes and procedures are in place to minimise errors and risk of fraud.
• ensuring all financial transactions are effected within the permitted and agreed deadlines.
• providing support to all teams with financial file management responsibilities with a particular focus on prompt file closures.
• benchmarking and collating data on performance and practice standards. This will involve analysing data and identifying opportunities for improvement.
• ensuring that month end responsibilities are effectively covered between yourself and the Management Accountant during times of absence.
• the maintenance of client ledgers with regards to Solicitors Accounts Rules, VAT legislation, money laundering regulations and any other procedures in place from time to time. Including but not limited to; bank reconciliation, liaison with the firm’s bank, interest calculations, disbursement payments, billing, liaison with appointed auditors.
• to have excellent knowledge of and adhere to the firm's service standards at all times.
• adhere to the firm's IT Security Policies and guidance at all times.
• liaising with other office functions whilst providing support to everyone within the firm (e.g. General Office, HR, Marketing, Accounts, IT).
Due to the large number of responses we receive it is not always possible to respond to every application. We will only contact those candidates short-listed for this role. If you have not heard from us within 7 days please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. If you wish to apply for further roles please do so. We will retain your details on file and contact you should a suitable vacancy become available.