Our client has a permanent vacancy for a Legal Accounts Assistant. The position offers a competitive salary with an excellent range of benefits.
It is essential that the candidate has an understanding of the principles of accounting and experience of working in a legal accounts environment is preferable.
Main Job Purpose:
• To maintain the accounting records of the firm to ensure compliance with the SRA Accounts
• To operate and monitor the online banking system and card payment facility.
• To maintain the nominal and purchase ledgers and petty cash records.
• To deal with VAT and PAYE and ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
• To assist fee earners and support staff with financial queries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor the online banking system regularly and ensure that all receipts of client money are notified to fee earners and their departments and recorded in the firm’s accounting records promptly;
• Post to the accounting records and transmit all electronic payments in a timely manner;
• Prepare client and office account bank reconciliations on a daily basis;
• Post bills and carry out client to office transfers on a daily basis;
• Process card payments from clients in person or over the telephone;
• Maintain the breaches register and keep the COLP, COFA and Directors of the business up-to-date on all entries on the register;
• Maintain and update nominal and purchase ledgers and petty cash transactions;
• Assist in the preparation of VAT returns;
• Assist in the monthly processing of payroll;
• Assist fee earners and support staff with financial queries;
• Liaise with auditors;
• Carry out ad-hoc duties as requested from time to time by the Finance Director or Practice Director.
The appropriate candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
• Understanding of principles of accounting;
• Knowledge of legal accounts procedures;
• Ability to use an online banking system;
• Numerate and accurate;
• Good communication and organisational skills;
• Demonstrates persistence and commitment to completing tasks and objectives;
• Delivers output to the highest standard;
• Ability to prioritise;
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
• Excellent communication;
• Able to use initiative;
• A commitment to maintain a high standard of customer service
• Steadiness under pressure;
• Reliable and dependable;
• Flexible approach to work;
• Positive attitude, can-do attitude.
Due to the large number of responses we receive it is not always possible to respond to every application. We will only contact those candidates short-listed for this role. If you have not heard from us within 7 days please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. If you wish to apply for further roles please do so. We will retain your details on file and contact you should a suitable vacancy become available.