Our client has a vacancy for a Legal Secretary to join their team to provide an efficient secretarial service to a Director in the Private Client team. This role is part time, 20 -25 hours per week, with flexibility when these are worked.
The successful candidate will enjoy working in a small but friendly and busy team.
1. To deliver practical services of outstanding quality that are focused on the client's needs.
2. To type correspondence to clients, other firms of solicitors, accountants etc using the Big Hand system with particular emphasis on accuracy and proof reading. To type reports and accounts schedules.
3. To type / complete legal documents (Discretionary Wills, A&M Trusts, Discretionary Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Insurance Policy Trusts, etc) and be able to understand the legal terminology used in these documents.
4. To compose and type letters to Building Societies enclosing cheques; letters to clients asking for signatures on documents; acknowledgements etc.
5. To keep an up-to-date diary for the Solicitors and a duplicate diary. Make appointments and organise and arrange meetings, including the provision of refreshments for solicitors and clients.
6. To answer the telephone, take messages, deal with queries by finding out the required information by looking at the file and relaying it appropriately. Deal with the post whilst the Solicitors are engaged or absent and deal with it appropriately.
7. Use a bring forward / referral system regarding strong room documents and dead files. Ensuring that when matters are completed, any original, and – where relevant – copy documents are removed from the file and sent to storage in the strong room. The file is then closed and sent for archiving (a record being kept of all matters sent for storage). Also ensuring appropriate destruction dates are recorded.
8. To complete accounts duties relating to client matters, e.g. typing of client's bills, completing timesheets, calculate client bills, organise the raising of cheques and expenses, request computer printouts.
9. To undertake other administrative and office duties as required, such as photocopying, filing, sickness records, opening post, search for old or lost files.
10. To undertake holiday and sickness lunch cover on reception as required.
11. Be available to witness wills and other documents as required.
12. To undertake any other reasonable duties as required.
Skills / Experience
Good Educational background
Excellent typing skills.
Preferred experience of working within a legal environment dealing with private client matters.
Ongoing learning and update of Rules and Procedures that affect the smooth running and efficiency of the department.
Fast, accurate audio-typist.
Used to working under pressure.
Due to the large number of responses we receive it is not always possible to respond to every application. We will only contact those candidates short-listed for this role. If you have not heard from us within 7 days please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. If you wish to apply for further roles please do so. We will retain your details on file and contact you should a suitable vacancy become available.